Monday, June 14, 2010

Trying out Accupuncture

Recently, I injured my lower back (which is always ironic for a chiroprator to do), which actually gave me an opportunity to try accupuncture for the first time. Since I'm scared of needles, I've been putting it off, but this time, I had to try it out or risk not being able to see patients that day.

Well, it turns out the needles are pretty tiny. While I was still completely terrified of them at first, after the first one went in and I barely noticed it, the fear went away. To call it a pinch is a big, big overstatement.

After the needle is inserted (through tapping on the back of it) about an eighth of an inch in, you feel a bit of an achy sensation in the area of the needle... I'd say about the size of a dime. Gurneet, our accupuncturist, told me that was the chi, or energy. It subsides after a few minutes.

After that, I had a few other strange sensations, as the needles were left in for about twenty minutes or so. They were difficult to describe, but perhaps pressure, or weight, is close to accurate.

Immediately following the treatment, I had slightly increased mobility and slightly reduced pain. An hour later, I had much more noticeable improvement, and a few hours later, I felt dramatically better. I've also had a faster recovery in the days following the injury then I have with previous, similar problems.

So, despite my continuing fear of needles, I'll be in to see Gurneet again soon for a more comprehensive treatment. In the meantime, if you're having a stubborn time with your condition, talk to Gurneet in our office- she does free consults- and give accupuncture a try.

No comments: